HTML and Javascript Again

I've been familiarising myself with Javascript from Codecademy since my last post about the free online learning website.

Back in polytechnic, I was chosen to participate in the school's first ever HTML coding short-course. This was conducted by a couple of caucasian training staff. It was cutting technology back then. It was the hay-day of Netscape Navigator (more info on wikipedia). I've just searched for it and found out that it's been discontinued at its last version 9.0.0.6, on 1st March 2008.

In that course back then, they only taught basic HTML tags. However, I went on to dig deeper delving into a bit of Javascript too. I ended up with a personal website hosted on Pacific Net (my ISP for many years). I followed the evolving technology up to the point when they introduced frames and CSS. I stopped, and did not begin to webpages for the next 16 years or more.

Now I am faced with an opportunity to again make use of HTML and Javascript to improve the workflow at work. It'll be much easier now that I have a better scripting foundation, and many standards have matured since the early implementation of these web scripting languages.

HTML5 looks like a really advanced language that is still evolving, making it even more relevant to the needs of web content developers and web users alike, for the internet, today and tomorrow.

I've just spent the entire night figuring out (re-learning) how to pass information between HTML tags and Javascript code. Spending time at Codecademy really helped speed up the learning process. Before Codecademy, I would not have been able to write a Javascript function.

A lot of time was spent trying to figure out some peculiar conventions, and ways to do things. Looking up the documentation from www.w3schools.com's reference and tutorials. This is where I look up everything I need, at the moment.

A pleasant surprise for me was that Javascript actually supports single quotes for string literals, 'like this', as well as double quotes "like this". I fell in love with single quotes from using Python, so this little surprise somehow made me even more receptive to the learning process. (haha).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maya UI Layout Example

Maya Expressions Part 02 - Conditional Statements

Jooble.org - A Jobs Platform for VFX Artists